A teenager was allegedly charged with planning a terrorist attack in Melbourne had planned to target an event to be held “in the coming days”, Victoria’s police commissioner Tim Cartwright says.
Even investigators did not identify the specific target, but the 17-year-old had taken steps to prepare improvised exploding devices to carry out the plot.
The teen accused with engaging in an act in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act following a large-scale raid on his family home.
State and federal police converged on the two-storey house in Melbourne’s north, thwarting what police described as “an imminent threat to the community”.
At that moment, when the boy was arrested, his things in the car with a woman was left, and the people inside the house were told to leave the premises.
Police said that three improvised explosive devices was found during the search, along with other bomb-making material.
According to Acting Commissioner Cartwright, the boy was cooperating with police and is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.
He said police were continuing investigations, but added that the threat against the Victorian community had been controlled.
“In the past couple of days we have made, or attempted to make, contact with over 35 community groups to provide information about what is happening and the police will also be out and about in their local communities, talking to people and answering questions where we can,” he said.
He urged all Victorians to stay calm and embrace the state’s cultural diversity.
“These are still isolated events carried out by isolated men,” he said.
“We really need to get on with our daily lives.”