A prominent figure in the Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), together with his eldest son and other fighters died during a U.S. air strike, according to the SITE Intelligence Group.
SITE declared on Thursday that an online video they obtained depicts that Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi, the senior Al-Qaeda official was killed in Yemen, along with several other fighters at the coastal city of Mukalla last month.
Washinton believed that Ansi is the AQAP commander of the north side in Yemen, and a US source had told Reuters and there were no civilian casualties in the strike.
Although, Eric Schultz, a White House spokesman declined to comment on the reported death of Ansi.
Schultz told reporters on-board Air Force One, “I’ll review what we said previously, which is we continue to actively monitor terrorist threats emanating from Yemen. We have the capabilities postured in the area to address them,”.
The late Osama bin Laden, the leader of Al-Qaeda, was believed to be a close friend of Ansi, who both appeared in several of the group’s videos.
Ansi claimed responsibility, in a video message on January 14, for the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris, wherein 2 masked gunmen gunned down 12 people, saying the massacre was in “vengeance for the prophet.”
A week later, lone-wolf attacks operations in Western allied countries like America, Britain, France and Canada were called by Ansi to be “better and more harmful.”
Ansi had also called for the Houthi rebels to be confronted by the Yemen’s Sunnis when they took over large portions of the country since last September.
Washington considered to be the most dangerous Al-Qaeda affiliate, who has exploited instability in poverty stricken Yemen since the event in 2011 uprising which had forced President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down from power.
The Yemeni military groundwork and civilians, especially Yemen’s Shia minority, were most often targeted by the AQAP group strikes.