Texas-based ice creamer Blue Bell Creameries recalled all its products on Monday due to listeriosis, a potentially fatal foodborne illness caused by the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes.
The move is the most recent in a string of recall announcements by the 108-year-old company, based in Brenham, after the health officials said last month, three people have died from Listeria in Kansas hospital over the past year, where Blue Bell frozen treats were served.
Monday’s decision came after the bacteria was identified in Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream samples that were tested last month.
The items being recalled are distributed in grocery and conveniences stores and other retail outlets in 23 states and some international locations.
Blue Bell CEO Paul Kruse said, “We are heartbroken about this situation and apologize to all of our loyal Blue Bell fans and customers.”
CEO and President Paul Kruse vowed to introduce additional safety and testing procedures, when Blue Bell found Listeria in multiple production facilities and issued a full recall.
“We’re committed to doing the 100 percent right thing, and the best way to do that is to take all of our products off the market until we can be confident that they are all safe.”
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention informed that listeria monocytogenes is a bacterium that causes the infection listeriosis. It causes food poisoning and can be fatal to newborns, elderly people and those with weak immune systems. As well as, cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. Healthy people may suffer short-term symptoms such as high fever, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
If you have any Blue Bell ice cream, kindly return it to the store where you bought it for a full refund.