Len Barnes, a 75-year-old pensioner from Stockton in the UK, was rescued in an extraordinary manner by his own daughter, after he was destroyed with a critical illness.
He went through a condition known as Clostridium difficile, which made him endure from attacks of severe diarrhea, stomach troubles, and loss of desire for food.
Barnes explicated that when the antibiotics were unsuccessful in curing him, doctors recommended a fecal transplant, which has a pattern in medicine.
“I’d never heard of it before. I thought, ‘come on, you’re taking the mickey,’ but my doctor explained that mixing healthy poo with my poo – and transferring it back into my bowel mixed with warm water – would give someone’s healthy bacteria the chance to fight with my bad bacteria.”
Who would have thought? Definitely not Mr. Barnes, who is now satisfied that he paid attention to his doctor’s recommendation, as he was healed from the illness and is back to normal.
Debbie, Mr. Barnes’ daughter bravely volunteered to help her father when Chris Wells, a gastroenterologist, lifted the concern of finding an appropriate contributor.
Mr. Barnes explicated a few things about the method, which basically saw his daughter’s tested poop inserted into his bowels.
“I had a bit of sedation, but watched it all happening on the screen in the endoscopy unit, it was interesting. I knew it had worked straight away. The next day Dr. Wells said I could go home and everything was back to normal.”
The fecal transplant was explicated by Dr. Wells, who talked to the media about it.
“Fecal transplantation doesn’t sound very appealing, but it’s a very effective remedy in patients like Len. Transplanting feces from one person to another does seem a bit unusual, but actually it’s using healthy gut bacteria to fight off infection. Our bowels are packed full of billions of bacteria and these play an important role in maintaining health.”
Well, it might be a little awkward and doesn’t sound like the most exciting practice, but the procedure was successful and in Len Barnes’ case, it was definitely life-saving.