Everything is Back to Normal after Three-day Isolation against Ebola in Sierra Leone ends

On Sunday night, citizens of Sierra Leone were once more permitted to go out of their houses following the government’s declaration of a three-day countrywide isolation intended to avoid a revival of the fatal Ebola virus.

For the duration of the curfew stage that runs from 0600 GMT on Friday ‘till 1800 GMT, Sunday, which was regulated by President Ernest Bai Koroma. About 26,000 volunteers went house-to-house to look for ill people and lift consciousness concerning the disease.

The National Ebola Response Centre (NERC) officers stated residents had overpoweringly obeyed the isolation. It was the second instance in six months the nation’s six million inhabitants were required to stay at home over Ebola worries.

The focal point in this instance was on hotspots in the capital besides other parts in the west and north of the nation.

Head of NERC’s Situation Room, Obi Sesay, told AFP “The campaign went well and we are pleased over the level of compliance.”

He added that official statistics specifying the outcomes of the operation will be released Tuesday.

The recent isolation was implemented due to worries that the virus that has killed around 3,700 in Sierra Leone was returning in some parts of the nation.

It was very alarming after World Health Organization officers announced in January the outbreak was, at last, decreasing in West Africa after creating a worldwide health panic.

Eyewitnesses and local press stated the isolation stage went off calmly with the exemption of one case in the KaffuBullom chiefdom in the northern region of Port Loko, where a team of health employees came embattled.

Festus James, a medical employee, told the media “Yesterday (Saturday) we visited a quarantine house where we discovered a seven-year-old boy who was looking sick. We wanted to take him to the hospital for further checks when we were pelted with stones and water was thrown at us. We had to flee from the area together with our two security guides.”

“It was all very terrifying,” he added.

In Kambia, the north close to the boundary with Guinea, press news said several people took shelter in the bush to keep away from meeting the health groups.

As stated by the WHO, it was on December 2013 when the epidemic happened in Guinea, then eventually spread out to Liberia and Sierra Leone, which both have already witnessed more than 10,300 misfortunes.

Ebola extends merely through direct contact with the physical fluids of an infected person exhibiting indications like fever or vomiting.

This virus is considered by people as one of the deadliest illnesses.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *